Hot Topics & Research
Important Health & Safety Update:
March 13, 2020
Dear friends –
On Feb 17, 2020 a long-awaited trip to Japan, for the purpose of running my sixth and final World Marathon Major (an endeavor that began in 2014) -the Tokyo marathon, was cancelled. Little did the running community, let alone North Americans at large, realize the global impact that would be created mere days/weeks later by a tiny new microorganism.
To do our part to minimize exposure/spread of COVID-19 CoreActive is offering virtual Telehealth Physical Therapy appointments and wellness consultations at this time.
Reach out by emailing us for more info or to schedule.
Hand Washing, staying 10 feet apart from other individuals, & 'Physical Distancing' away from groups of people are top means to preventing infection and spread of COVID-19 “coronavirus”. To reinforce the rationale for how crucial it is to isolate in order to minimize spread and 'surge' in need for ICU beds/oxygen machines this 30min JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association) video is worth every minute of viewing time.
Ideas to counter boredom, anxiety, and loneliness during this challenging time:
- Spend a minimum of 40min walking/hiking/jogging outside daily
- FaceTime/Skype/call a friend or loved one and talk, talk, talk
- Do your P.T. Home Exercise Program (HEP) then call the office/email to let me know how it went!
- Purge or organize closets/drawers
- Set up a white board schedule for yourself, your family - sample below
- Current class participants: Join CoreActive for a virtual 1-on-1 class in Essentrics or Ms Fit Therapy!
- Clean/sweep out the garage
- Work on a puzzle
- Dig out heirloom family recipes
- Hang a bird feeder
- Play a board game
- Host a virtual 'hang out' with friends and loved ones
- Blow bubbles
- Support a local restaurant and order take out/delivery: Delaney's, L'Etoile, Bloom Bake Shop, Salvatore's Tomato Pies
- Support a smal business in another industry: order a voucher for a family photo session, buy a gift card for future spa services (massage, facial, or acupuncture), or buy a clothing item/accessory for your first day back in the office/meeting a friend IN PERSON for coffee!
- Start an online learning/continuing education opportunity
- Need a job? Take action by helping make Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to support doctors and nurses in our hospitals and urgent care clinics
- Learn a new skill (coding, playing the guitar, etc)
- Read a novel or bio (Chanel Cleeton’s When We Left Cuba and Next Year In Havana or Heather Morris’ The Tatooist of Aushwitz or David GogginsCan't Hurt Me all excellent)
- Check out mental health focused resource: link on Emotional Intelligence
- Get into meditation; check out the app: Calm
In times of uncertainty I find comfort in leaning on the knowledge of experts and talking with trusted friends about our shared journey. I hope and pray for strength for CoreActive and fellow small businesses. As an endurance athlete I find marathon and ultra event metaphors crossing my mind daily. As a parent I think this experience is shaping young people into a more appreciative and global minded 'Greatest Generation'. I look forward to again seeing patients and clients in person. Know that if you have Qs I am available by virtual appt from now through at least late April 2020.
Stay Strong, Wash Your Hands, & Be Well...We Got This!
What we read, watched, and listened to in 2019...
The Game Changers narrated by retired English MMA athlete James Wilks; vegan athletes achieving greatness in endurance and power endeavors; produced by Jackie Chan and Arnold Swarzenegger. Featured team pursuit cylcing athlete (now retired) Dotsie Bausch's website includes excellent plant based recipes.
On Athletic Motivation:
Can't Hurt Me "The 40% rule" touted by Army Ranger and Navy Seal veteran and ultra-endurance athlete David Goggins.
Brave Like Gabe This organization champions the life & fierce determination of now deceased American distance runner Gabriele "Gabe" Grunewald.
Calm app - 10min "Daily Calm" aligns with current "dosing" recommendations for a variety of beginner meditation goals. The focus on breathing enhances PMF (present moment focus) and most "Daily's" include a little something for everyone: quiet time, intention, soothing sounds, pardigms to ponder, and inspirational quotes. Give it a chance, dedicate, and be amazed at the inner power growth.
Power of Sportsmanship
The April 2018 Boston Marathon brought about some of the best stories in recent American running history. Ferocious wind and temps in the low 30s (F) created a shuffle amongst the leaders. Tenacious champ Des Linden prevailed as the first US woman to win since 1985. Linden's efforts/choices favoring teamwork and the incredible stories of fellow top female finishers provide a decade's worth of lessons all in one day, one race.
Favorite Recipe & Cookbook
Chewy Banana Chips - great long workout alternative to chews/gels
- Preheat oven to 200deg F
- Slice 3 ripe bananas to 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices
- Spread on greased/parchment lined sheet
- Brush slices with melted mixture of 1t-1T coconut oil, 1t cinnamon, 1t lemon juice, and pinch to 1/2t sea salt
- Bake for 2HRS turning once half way through
- Check after 90-100min to prevent burning. Crispy, slightly chewy, and dark brown is the goal!
- Cool completely. Store up to 3wks in airtight container. Yum!
(adapted from Run Fast Eat Slow by Shalane Flanagan & Elyse Kopecky)
A hot topic in Pain Research includes non-pharmacologic options for those affected by migraines, neck and back pain, and persistent pain conditions. Well designed randomized controlled trials (RCT) and systematic literature reviews are indicating up to 40% reduced pain with a consistent daily breathing meditation practice. 20min per day is the key "therapeutic dose" cited most often.
Running Research is now focusing less on footstrike and more on what's happening "up the chain" at the gluteal muscles and the interplay between pelvis control and hip flexibility. Research indicates a skilled and experienced Physical Therapist is a crucial running analysis resource. CoreActive Therapy is providing runners of all skill and experience levels with comprehensive neuromusculoskeletal examination and assessment for optimal performance, as well as prevention and treatment of common and complex conditions.
CoreActive's owner, J Klestinski, PT, MPT, OCS, WCS, CSCS, BCB-PMD, presented a literature review and case studies on Incontinence in Athletes at the Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association on February 6, 2014 in Las Vegas, NV. Geared towards practicing as well as student PTs interested in pelvic rehabilitation in the athlete, this evidenced based presentation was hosted by the Section on Women's Health and focused on pelvic floor issues affecting impact and endurance athletes.
Fall 2013 - CrossFit has exploded in popularity...but being an informed consumer is paramount to the health and success of the sport. Benefits of movement variety through cross training, weight lifting, and mental toughness apply to athletic pursuits and life. Yet, complications from CrossFit range from extreme pelvic floor pressures (read: bladder/bowel leakage) to non-reversible muscle damage and kidney failure. Bottomline: Listen to your body! Few research studies on CrossFit exist yet, however, case reports on serious risk factors are growing in number.
Contrary to this video, it is NOT normal to leak "even a little" with jumping rope (aka "double unders") or with running, lifting, or playing sports in general. Understand and educate others: pelvic physical therapy is highly effective and the first line of treatment for leakage. Prevention through education and practice on properly engaging deep core muscle layers (see Ms Fit Therapy class) is key to ward off a major risk of CrossFit participation.
National - Autism and running can be a great fit! Giving hope to many parents, this New York prep athlete is aiming for a top Division I program to "run against the best in the
International - All at once inspiring and heartwrenching, world-class runner Julius Achon's personal journey and his Children's Fund in northern Uganda are ones to watch.
Spring 2013 - American Physical Therapy Association's public education arm, Move Forward PT, broadcasted an excellent resource by a fellow women's health PT on the role of PT during and after pregnancy.
Solid study looking at tumeric intake and effects on rheumatoid arthritis and joint inflammation markers.
CoreActive owner J. Klestinski was published in the May/August 2012 issue of the Journal of Women's Health Physical Therapy as co-author in a systematic literature review looking at the effects of specific exercise on pelvic girdle and low back pain during pregnancy.
Brimming with research and written by content experts, CoreActive's owner was integral in bringing together this collaborative eBook follow up to the May 2012 Women's Health PT Blog Talk Radio Show.
Adobe Acrobat document [515.2 KB]
Listen to all or part of the 2012 PT Blog Talk Radio Show covering a myriad of women's health topics.
© CoreActive Therapy 2018